Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Struggles after college

As much hard work, time, and money you put into your college years, people are struggling with getting the jobs they want after graduation. Some people are graduating with degrees in fields where there are no job offerings right now and must settle for lower paying jobs or even jobs not related to the major they chose to maintain in college. With the recent downfalls of our economy, cuts are being made in all sorts of field of work, specifically, teaching. For example, my sister graduated from Georgian Court University last year and received a teaching job right out of college for that September. She is teaching at the elementary school we both attended right around the corner from home and could not have been more thrilled. Since she only had the job for a year, she recently received her pink slip. Teachers all around are losing their jobs or receiving pay cuts. For my field, criminal justice, I recently heard that there are limited spots available to enroll in Sea Girt’s training academy for police officers. This brings fear to my eyes, questioning if I too will struggle to find a job when I graduate college. If a low paying job is what it takes to work my way up to my dream job, then that is what is going to have to be done. This crisis is hurting so many and I hope it does not last longer and impact future generations, including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment