Sunday, March 7, 2010

Finally, therapy that I enjoy

I was still overwhelmed and exciting from being able to graduate. The doctors and nurses would walk into the room and ask, " Why are you so happy?" And my smile just got bigger being able to talk about my standing ovation and seeing all my friends. The next day, I was allowed to start pool therapy. Loving the water, I was so happy I was finally able to go back into a pool. I was unable to start pool therapy earlier due to the fact that you are not allowed to, while a trech is in your throat. The pool was heated and so relaxing. I tried walking in it, holding the side rails, and did some kick moves and squats. The water made it easier because it's easier to walk in water than on land. When the session was over, I never wanted to get out. Since, the water was helping me with my walking skills, they started having me use a walker outside of the pool. At first, I would take as many steps as I could. Soon enough, I was doing a lap around the lobby ( which was pretty big). When I conquered the feat of using the walker, I began another task we take for granted, climbing stairs. It was so difficult at first, but like everything else, I pushed harder and harder each time. When I began climbing the stairs, I would have to place one foot up, use both hands to hold the rail, and pull with all my might, just to get up one step. Climbing stairs sounds easy, but when you haven't been using your musceles that long, it is extremely difficult. Since I had such a gret relationship with my therapists, they persuaded the doctor to let them take me out to get my nails done. It was such a relief to get out of the hospital and be "girlie" for a day. It brought me joy and made me strieve to get out of the hospital even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment