Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Another trip to the hospital

I forgot to mention that the day after I was released from hospital therapy I was admitted to the Emergency Room.I had to go for a doctors visit the day after I was released as a follow up, but there was a problem. When my blood was tested, the doctor found that my potassium level was low. It was not dangerously low, but needed to be increased quickly. That night I was back to the hospital. The night grew longer as waiting is one of the key aspects of the ER. After the doctors called me in, it was once again time for testing. I recieved x-rays and then was put on an IV drip. I was fed potassium through an IV drip in my hand. Let me tell you, potassium burns the veins and is very painful. The nurses were trying their best to releive the pain, such as adding salt water to the IV and putting a cool rag on my hand. However, nothing was helping with the pain. I was informed that I would have to stay for the night, which greatly upset both me and my parents. As a precautionary, the doctors and to test my blood frequently to see if my potassium level was increasing. Now, since I had constantly been testing my blood, I had little blood left in my veins to be tested. In one attempt, the doctor finally found a useful vein, but the vein moved. The doctor then moved the needle to follow the vein, as you may have guessed, I screamed at the top of my lungs. The next morning, my potassium level had increased to the proper and normal level, so all I needed to do was eat some food to see how my body would handle it, and I was released. A night in the ER can seem like eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment