Sunday, February 7, 2010

The start of my diagnosis

I arrived at the PICU at Robert Wood Johnson still in a non-responsive state. Upon arrival, the nurses and doctors immediately started on tests to see just exactly what was wrong with me. Most of the tests, at first, came back with a false/positive result. In other words, there was no sure diagnosis yet. Never the less, I was put on lots of antibiotics and medications just to be on the safe side. I was constantly obtaining a fever on and off again. Some parts of the day I would manage to open my eyes and become responsive, but shortly after, I drifted back into the sleep-like-state. On the third day, I was put on a ventilator and feeding tube to help me breathe and eat (just as a precautionary). I was also put on to steroids and an IVIG drip to help boost my immune system. My first diagnosis came back as a positive for mono and Epstein-Barr.That Monday I was again diagnosed with another illness called ADEM. To help cure my immune system, I started a treatment called plasmaphoresis, which basically recycles my bad blood cells and puts good ones back into my body through a machine.I repeated this process for a few hours every other day for a week.

1 comment: