Sunday, February 21, 2010

The long stay in the hospital

I continuously was obtaining high fevers (over 100 degrees). Because I was on so many medications, it was hard to get rid of them and nothing seemed to work, besides time. I also was beginning to suffer severe migrains, which was not strange do to the fact I suffer from migrains regularly. But again, because I was on so many medicines, I could not take my prescription drug that helps with the headaches. Each day the doctors would try and get me to breathe on my own without the ventilator. An hour the first day, a few hours the next, and more and more each day. After a few days, I was slowly becoming able to breathe on my own. I was expressing a lot of secretions (mucus), which meant a lot of suctioning of the trach and my throat. This caused both me and my mother to have difficulty sleeping at night. At this point, both me and my mother reached a breaking point, which I think is understandable considering all we had already been through. Finally however there was a light at the end if the tunnel, I began my therapy. At first I could not do much because I was still having trouble moving any of my body parts. To get my blood circulating again, they had me on a standing table. The tables was lifted to an 80 degree angle to get the blood in my lower body circulating to my brain. Another excercise, belief it or not, they had me do was play games. I know it sounds crazy that playing games can be considered excercise, but when you can barely move your arms, trust me, it is. I played yahtzee, guess who, trouble, and lots of other easy and fun games to work on my fine motor skills. A great benefit when my little cousins came to visit me =)

No comments:

Post a Comment