Monday, January 25, 2010

The beginning of my story

It all started on Easter day of last year. (April 2009) I was fine the whole day, but around dinner time, my throat started feeling a little sore and all of a sudden I became very tired. So after dinner I said my goodbyes to my family and decided to take a nap. The next morning I woke up and my throat felt even worse. My mom tells me that my throat looked very swollen and a little "dis-colored." So she made an appointment with my doctor for the next day to see what was wrong.After not running any tests, she told us that I had strep throat. Now I had never had strep throat before in my life, so my mom knew it was something more. The doctor merely said that I should go home and rest, so I did. That night I went to bed and my dad kept coming in to give me some water to keep me hydrated. Well, he came back in around 3 a.m and couldn't wake me up. After a several failed attempts of waking me up, my mother quickly grabbed the phone and called 911. I was rushed to Centra State Hospital in Freehold, NJ, where I was once again miss-diagnosed. The doctors there, again running no tests, diagnosed me with Mono. I was still not responding at this point, and was once again told to just go home and rest. So my father himself wheeled me out and a family friend pointed us in the direction of calling Childrens Specialized Hospital in New Brunswick. It is there that my proper diagnosis and road to recovery began.

No comments:

Post a Comment